SpeedClamp: Product Description
The SpeedClamp is unique patella clamp made from 301 Full-Hardness Stainless Steel shell and has a medical grade Thermoplastic Elastomer overmold made from Santoprene. The SpeedClamp is universal to any type of patella component and comes in standard and tall sizes. It serves 5 primary purposes in total knee arthroplasty:
- Compression of patellar component: The SpeedClamp uses spring force to maintain constant compression between the prepared patella and the cemented patellar component.
- Protects patellar component: The Santoprene overmold protects the patellar component.
- Saves time: While the SpeedClamp is compressing and protecting the patellar component at the beginning of the case, the procedure can continue. This sequence change can save between 9-13 minutes of O.R. time and reduce costs and risk of infection.
- MIS friendly: The ProClamp has a low-profile design that allows for use of MIS instrumentation.
- Novel outside retraction: Retracting the patella can be a challenging aspect of total knee replacement. The SpeedClamp when used with the U or N style ProRetract retractor serves as an outside patella retractor that allows for the surgeon to effectively “joystick” the patella. This accomplishes three primary goals:
- Visualization: Improves ability to see and work in the lateral aspect of the knee.
- Smaller Exposure: Reduces constant need for bulky retractors to be placed internally on the outside of the lateral tibial plateau. This can help allow for less quad invasion.
- Patellar ligament peeling: Outside retraction can help prevent peeling or avulsing of the ligament from the tibial tubercle.